Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Beginning

My name is Allysa Johnson for those of you who don't know me and I am one of Bonnie's daughters. I am going to begin this and just get all of you up to speed. It probably will be me doing most of the updates but my mom will probably have some on here too. I hope this will just help everyone know what is going on and if you ever have questions this can be place for you to turn. We are so thankful for all your prayers, concern and love!

Ok so to give the whole story, last thursday Bonnie was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Ovarian cancer is a cancer that is very hard to detect so the fact that we have this diagnosis and we found this out now is huge. About a week before the diagnosis Bonnie found out that she had a tennis ball sized tumor on one of her ovaries. Her OBGYN ordered an MRI for the next week and from the results of the MRI this past thursday the doctors concluded that the mass is cancerous. After hearing the results Bonnie came home and told our family. Amazingly God worked it out that we were all home (which never happens) and we all heard the news together. It was a hard blow to us all but we know that God has a plan and we fully trust Him during this time. In the past few days Bonnie has had several tests and scans to further help the doctors understand what is going on. We also met with an oncologist yesterday who answered a lot of the questions. Right now the next step is surgery because with ovarian cancer it is too hard to tell anything until they go in there and check everything out. We are in the process of scheduling surgery in the next week. We are in contact with an OBGYN oncologist who is in the bay area and she will be doing Bonnie's surgery. Her name is Dr O'hanlan and if you are interested in learning more about her you can read about her at www.ohanlan.com.

We really can't thank you all enough for all the support and love we have received in the past few days. All your prayers and encouragement have meant so much to us all. Bonnie is doing pretty good and her spirits are pretty high considering everything. It has been hard news for us all but we are taking it one day at a time. I will let you know when the surgery is going to be when we find out (it should be in the next day).

If you have any questions please comment and will do my best to answer them. Thank you again!

10 comments:

  1. Allysa, thanks so much for starting this blog! Lisa and I have been praying for Bonnie and your family since we heard the news. I was so encouraged today to hear about the Lord's provision of Dr O'hanlan--sounds like she's really good from the little I heard. We will continue to keep you all in prayer!

    Steve Leonard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Allysa! Thank you, this will make it so much easier to keep up to date even from afar!!!
    My Dear Sweet Sister, I will be thinking and praying about you every minute. I love you!

    Betsy(sister #6)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Betsy for forwarding this to me. Allysa, this is fabulous! Thinking of you all & sending lots of love & strength during this challenging time!

    Love from the Buschini's,
    Jill, John, Max & Marco

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for keeping us updated, Allysa. It's just what we all needed. You know we've got all of you in our prayers. We're depending on you to tell us if you need anything and delegate! ;)

    Love,
    Colette and family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, our family will be praying for you! Betsy, your loving sister, forwarded this blog to me.
    It has been many years, but I keep up with your beautiful family through Betsy.
    With love and blessings,

    Linda Coppedge-Durham and family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allyssa,
    I am so glad you started this blog to keep us all up to date with accurate information about Bonnie's journey (the journey of your whole family.) I JUST heard the news yesterday (Tuesday) and our family began our prayers as soon as we heard.

    We have a BIG God and your faith will carry you all through as you walk this path as you said...one day at at time.
    God bless you all!
    Janet Hooper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, it has been way too long since we have talked, probably college. I have so many fun memories of you at Cal Poly. All of my kids know the stories of having to park your car on a hill by the beach so we could bump start it to get home. I am so grateful Cathy forwarded this blog to me and a big thank you to your daughter for doing it. Tom and I will have you in our prayers. We aren't far from the bay area and would love to do anything we can to help. My cell # is 707-373-5714. We will be praying for you during surgery and for the blessing of returning to good health.
    Much love,
    Sylvia Phillippi

    ReplyDelete
  8. For all of those interested in helping with meals for the Johnson family you may contact Joan Martin from Grace Church. She will be coordinating this effort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alyssa,
    Thanks so much for starting this blog about Bonnie's journey. Know that the Malleys are all praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet, Dear, Energtic, Artistic, Intelligent, Patient, Wonderful, Bonnie!
    I am so glad this was forwarded to me because I too wanted to add that my thoughts and earnest prayers are with you and your family. Please do not hesitate to call Dale or I especially if you need me to handle anything at your moms house. If there is a guest list that I can take over or the house cleaned, etc. I would love it if I could pitch in. I will call your mom and check in too. Thank you so much for the blog. Lots of Love & Prayers, Laura, Dale & Alex Texter

    ReplyDelete